Home > News > Regional
Friday April 25, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday April 25, 2014 MYT 4:01:27 PM
SYDNEY: Searchers for the missing Flight MH370 face tough choices on how to proceed after almost seven fruitless weeks, with only a fraction of a deep-sea zone still left to be scanned.
After 11 dives seeking wreckage from the Malaysia Airlines jet, which mysteriously disappeared on March 8, an autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) has come up empty-handed.
“Bluefin-21 has now completed more than 90% of the focused underwater search area,” the Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC) managing the search said early yesterday.
“No contacts of interest have been found to date.”
Australia is leading the search for the missing Boeing 777, which is believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean after veering dramatically off course from its Kuala Lumpur to Beijing route.
JACC refused to speculate on what the next steps would be if Bluefin-21 ended its 3D sonar scanning some 4,500m below the surface without results, but said the search would continue.
“We are currently consulting very closely with our international partners on the best way to effect this for the future,” it said.
For now, it will not give up on the 400 sq km search zone, which has offered the best hopes so far of finding the aircraft based on seabed signals consistent with those emitted by black box data recorders.
“At the moment, we are focused on pursuing the best lead we have in relation to the missing Flight MH370,” the agency said.
“It is important this lead is pursued to its completion so we can either confirm or discount the focused underwater area as the final resting place of MH370.
“This is clearly of great importance to the families of those on board.”
Australia’s Prime Minister Tony Abbott has said that while the search would not be abandoned, it could face a “rethink”. Defence Minister David Johnston has suggested a more powerful sonar scanner could be deployed.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau has also reportedly suggested that the search zone could be broadened if calculations about the plane’s position when it likely ran out of fuel and crashed were revised.
“The area of focus for the search... has already been moved twice, and there’s always a possibility that further work will move it again,” the bureau’s chief commissioner Martin Dolan told CNN.
As the painstaking aerial and surface searches over the vast and remote ocean continued, the discovery on Wednesday of potential debris on a Western Australian beach was ruled out as a lead.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said the unidentified material found on the far south coast of Western Australia was not associated with MH370.
The JACC said up to 11 military aircraft and 11 ships would assist in the search yesterday, with most concentrating on a visual search of 49,567 sq km, some 1,584km northwest of Perth.
The visual search has for days been frustrated by weather related to ex-tropical Cyclone Jack, and authorities said it could again be suspended with sea swells expected of three to four metres. — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
14 hurt as plane skids off Bangkok runway
MH370 crash: Search for missing aircraft to resume after 24-hour delay
Plane lands at Bali airport in suspected hijacking: Indonesia air force
SIA plane hits aerobridge at Sydney Airport
Undersea volcanoes, huge seas complicate MH370 search
Venezuela's Maduro moves foreign minister Ramirez to U.N.
Asia remembers devastating 2004 tsunami with tears and prayers
Sony's 'Interview' draws U.S. moviegoers who trumpet free speech
Fire at storage tank at Libya's Es Sider port has spread to more oil tanks - officials
Russia's new military doctrine names NATO as key risk
Uganda says it will pull troops out of South Sudan only if Juba secured
Back to the future for your travels
Sumptuous New Year spread
FAA launches drone safety campaign
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)