Home > News > Regional
Friday April 4, 2014 MYT 7:17:00 PM
Friday April 4, 2014 MYT 7:20:51 PM
SEOUL: South Korean coastguard units searched Friday for survivors of a cargo ship with 16 North Korean crew that sank with the loss of at least two lives off the South's southern coast.
A coastguard spokesman told AFP that the bodies of two North Korean sailors had been recovered and three other crew had been rescued, with 11 still missing.
The 4,300-tonne Mongolian-flagged ship sent out a distress call shortly after 1:00 am (1400 GMT Thursday) from international waters off South Korea.
The boat, with a cargo of iron ore and copper powder, was sailing from North Korea to China on a sea route regularly used by North Korean cargo ships.
A dozen coastguard vessels, backed by helicopters and civilian cargo ships, were taking part in the search for survivors, the coastguard spokesman said.
The three rescued sailors were taken to a hospital on the southern resort island of Jeju.
"Our operation has been hampered by strong winds and high waves," Kim Sang-Bae, the coastguard chief in Yeosu, told a televised news conference.
A coastguard helicopter found one sailor drifting alive in the sea about three hours after the distress call came. Two crew members were rescued later.
According to the South's Yonhap news agency, the surviving crew told their rescuers that the ship had suddenly listed sharply to one side.
"The cargo shifted right over," said one who abandoned the ship when it became clear it was going to sink.
Yonhap quoted an unnamed government official as saying discussions were under way on repatriating the three and any other survivors. -AFP
Tags / Keywords:
cargo ship, sink, South Korean coastguard
Dozens missing after Bangladesh migrant boat sinks
Hostages hid in refrigerator and beneath sink
Two Filipinos dead, 16 missing in ship sinking
Move to refloat navy vessel
Thirteen rescued two days after Indonesia tourist boat sinking
Deaths from major heatwave sweeping India top 1,100
Pakistan arrests owner of ‘fake degree factory’: Officials
Japan dolphin fishermen vow to continue slaughter
Universal Studios to re-open Battlestar Galatica ride
SIA flight to Shanghai had temporary loss of power in both engines but plane landed safely
Bailed Bollywood star Khan allowed to leave India: Reports
Rubbish dumping woes in Laluan Puncak Jelapang left unresolved despite complaints
V Shem-Wee Kiong do it the hard way in Aussie Open
Star People's Food Award: Cast your vote now for your favourite nasi kandar eatery
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)