Home > News > Regional
Tuesday March 18, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Tuesday March 18, 2014 MYT 3:00:23 PM
NEW DELHI: India has rejected suggestions that it could have been the intended target of a 9/11-style attack by the missing Malaysia Airlines jet.
As Prime Minister Manmohan Singh promised maximum assistance in the massive hunt for Flight 370, India’s foreign minister said it was vital that the mystery over its fate was cleared up.
But asked by the CNN-IBN network about suggestions that the plane was hijacked with the aim of flying it into an Indian city, Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid replied yesterday: “I don’t think we have gone that far.”
The speculation was fuelled by former US deputy secretary of state Strobe Talbott who tweeted that the “direction, fuel load & range now lead some to suspect hijackers planned a 9/11-type attack on an Indian city”.
His comments over the weekend have been widely picked up by the Indian media and Salman said people needed answers to allay their fears.
“We hope to come to some conclusion that is both credible and reassuring,” he said.
The Times of India said security sources had “rubbished” the idea that the plane could have got anywhere close to an urban centre and insisted it would have been detected by a naval base on the Andaman islands, more than 1,000km off the Indian mainland.
“There is no way our military radars would have missed the airliner as it flew over Andaman Sea, as there is high traffic around that time,” one military intelligence source told the paper.
The US-led Nato mission in Afghanistan, meanwhile, said it was not looking for the missing plane there, and Islamabad’s Civil Aviation Authority said the flight never appeared on Pakistani radar.
Indian ships and planes scoured the seas off the sprawling Andamans archipelago last week but they suspended their search on Sunday as they awaited fresh instructions from Malaysian authorities.
“Operations are suspended as of now, everything is grounded,” Indian Navy spokesman D.K. Sharma said yesterday.
“Malaysian authorities will now decide and tell us where to go. They have asked us to be on standby for now. We are awaiting further instructions.”
Manmohan’s office said that his Malaysian counterpart Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, in a phone call late Sunday, had requested “technical assistance from Indian authorities in corroborating the possible paths that the missing Malaysian airliner might have taken”.
Manmohan “assured all possible assistance from concerned Indian authorities”, the office said.
Meanwhile, in Beijing, relatives of the Chinese passengers voiced their fury yesterday as Premier Li Keqiang backed their demand for more information. Li in a phone call asked Najib to provide more details about the missing flight “in a timely, accurate and comprehensive manner”, state news agency Xinhua reported. — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
India marks five years since Mumbai attacks
China troops 'enter disputed India territory'
Migrant workers avoid Little India
India set for landmark cryogenic rocket launch
India now top rice supplier
Mother arrested for murder of eight children in Australia
China MH370 families protest for info on plane
Was it all for nothing?
Arab world put on notice of a longer-term challenge
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
More hotels are going green, and it’s not just to save water or money
Remembering Tsunami 2004: Phuket bounces back from disaster
Crash rules Gerrans out of Tour Down Under title defence
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)