Home > News > Regional
Wednesday January 29, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday January 29, 2014 MYT 7:39:36 AM
SYDNEY: Police reportedly found human remains in the search for a 12-year-old boy snatched by a crocodile in northern Australia, and scaled back operations to a body recovery mission.
Police would not go into details but acting commander Michael White said they had found “evidence within the search area which strongly indicates the boy has died from the crocodile attack”.
“Further DNA testing will be conducted to confirm the identification,” White said.
“No specifics will be given in relation to the trauma or type of evidence located out of respect for the family.”
“This is now an investigation for the Northern Territory coroner and a brief will be prepared.”
Local media reports said the “evidence” cited by White was human remains.
Police on the scene said the operation had now entered a “search and recovery” stage following confirmation of the boy’s death.
“We’re looking for a body at the moment, it’s very sad,” a spokesman said.
Three crocodiles have been shot and cut open under a shoot-to-kill order for any crocodile larger than 2m sighted around Mudginberri Outstation, which is about 200km east of Darwin in the Kakadu National Park.
The boy was taken while swimming with friends in the Mudginberri Billabong on Sunday. A second boy, aged 15, managed to fight the creature off and received three stitches for deep bites on his right arm.
His wounds led rangers to estimate that the animal responsible for the attack was between 2m and 3m long.
Sunday’s attack in Kakadu is the 11th fatality recorded so far this year.
The most recent was in August last year, when a man was taken by a 4.7m crocodile. — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
Australia doctors demand children be freed from immigration detention
Extremists can leave, says mosque leader
Australia in talks with Philippines to resettle refugees
Court rules cancer gene patent invalid
Malaysia look good to qualify for AFF futsal final
A-G: 1MDB did nothing wrong
Exclusive - India battles big pharma over cough syrup abuse, reducing supplies
‘Use of security laws on duo not abuse of power’
Top U.S. general to visit Israel as defence aid talks expected to resume
Houthi leader urges all followers to join fight against Arab coalition
Guinea-Bissau president swears in new government in bid to end crisis
Ireland suffer double blow, France plot NZ upset
RM70mil road works package proposed for Sibu
Keep fit and have fun with Zumba
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)