X Close


Published: Wednesday January 22, 2014 MYT 10:45:00 AM
Updated: Wednesday January 22, 2014 MYT 10:46:00 AM

Cops take kidnap suspect to crime scene

POLICE took one of the two Sheng Siong kidnap suspects back to one of the scenes of crime – Sembawang Park.

Lee Sze Yong, 41, arrived in a silver van at about 4.45pm, escorted by about six officers from the police’s Criminal Investigation Department. 

He spent about half-an-hour pointing out various specific locations related to the crime, such as the tree behind a pavilion in the park, where he and fellow suspect Heng Chen Boon, 50, had allegedly asked for the ransom money to be dropped off. 

He was also taken to nearby Jalan Selimang to identify other locations related to the crime. Dressed in a red polo shirt and navy three-quarter pants, Lee appeared sullen, and at one point broke out in tears.

This kidnap case is Singapore’s first in about a decade. On Jan 8, the 79-year-old mother of Sheng Siong chief executive Lim Hock Chee was abducted after a morning trip to a market in Hougang. 

She was released about 15 hours later after the S$2mil (RM5.2mil) ransom was dropped off at Sembawang Park as requested by the kidnappers. 

Both suspects are currently in remand and have been charged under the Kidnapping Act. If convicted, they face the death penalty or life imprisonment with caning. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network


  1. Motorists to enjoy highway toll discounts this Hari Raya
  2. Ukrainian villagers recall how victims dropped onto streets and houses
  3. ‘Our lives turned upside down in a day’
  4. Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims fleeing war
  5. Lorry slams into cars, catches fire at Sunway toll booth on Kesas Highway
  6. MH17: Train carrying bodies of victims arrives in Kharkiv
  7. MH17: Najib's 'silent diplomatic' approach worked, says NYT
  8. MH17: Opposition leaders laud Najib's quiet diplomacy
  9. Kiki fined RM5,000 for causing mischief and damage
  10. MH17: Rebels don’t have military system to take down aircraft, says Russian ambassador