Home > News > Regional
Monday October 21, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday October 21, 2013 MYT 8:48:56 AM
WHEN a fire broke out in a second-floor Housing Board flat in Ang Mo Kio, its four residents were left with only one way out – through the kitchen window.
Thick flames had engulfed most of the one-room rental flat in Block 115, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4 by then, and two residents leapt to the ground on Friday morning.
The other two, Gan Hwee Sun, 72, and Teo Siew Choo, 50, stood precariously on the window ledge until they were helped to the ground by Bangladeshi cleaners, using a ladder.
Gan and Teo, both musicians in a Chinese funeral procession band, shared the flat with Choon Siew Weng, 56, and her younger brother, 37.
Gan emerged unharmed, while the other three were taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. The younger brother, who was not named, was warded in the high dependency unit for fall injuries, a hospital spokesman said.
The other two suffered burns.
A 70-year-old resident upstairs who suffered from smoke inhalation was also warded. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network
Tags / Keywords:
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)