Home > News > Nation
Thursday August 28, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday August 28, 2014 MYT 8:34:54 AM
by loh foon fong
PETALING JAYA: Home owners and tenants have been advised to test the automatic circuit breaker switches in their homes after a pharmacist was believed to have been electrocuted recently while using a water heater.
Consumers must also ensure that the automatic circuit breaker sensitivity does not exceed the current strength of 100mA (milliampere) or 0.1A and is tested at least once a month to ensure it works properly.
“The automatic circuit breaker switches found in the electrical case in your home are to protect you and your family from the dangers of electric shock,” the Energy Commission said in an e-mail in response to the mishap.
Pharmacist D. Anitha, 27, is believed to have been electrocuted in the shower at her home in Segamat, Johor, on Aug 12. A water heater was used.
A simple way to test the automatic circuit breaker is to switch it on by pressing the test button (marked “T”) and it should trip when pressed.
The switch can be restored to its original position.
“If the automatic circuit breaker switch does not trip after the test button is pressed, you should immediately consult a registered electrical contractor for inspection and replacement of the device,” said the commission.
It also said that if an electric water heater was installed in the bathroom, users must make sure that the automatic circuit breaker switch had a sensitivity not exceeding 10mA or 0.01A on the water heater circuit.
The commission said Anitha’s case was still being investigated.
So far, only one case of electrocution from water heater had been reported to the commission this year and one last year, the commission said in the e-mail.
Last September, a Japanese couple were electrocuted by a faulty water heater in their apartment in Mont Kiara, Kuala Lumpur.
The husband, a factory manager, and his wife, both 38, lived in Malaysia with their young son.
Tags / Keywords:
Utilities, Family Community, Test out automatic circuit breaker
Anifah Aman: Government will not 'rescue' child porn convict from British jail
Minister: Child porn convict 'sick', needs counselling
Dep IGP: Student in child porn case a free man after serving sentence
Rawang low-cost flats to have new JMB pro tem panels
Year Five pupil dies from suspected H1N1
Najib dismisses claims that RM2.67bil was moved into his account
Foul weather leaves behind trail of destruction in parts of country
KLCI, key Asian markets skid, ringgit at 16-year low
Dress code distress in Ipoh City Council
Celebrate Raya in style with GEMFIVE
The 3 unexpected life events that leave us in debt
U.S. triumph caps truly global Women's World Cup
Hillary Clinton accuses China of hacking US computers
Adventures with food
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)