X Close

Nation

Published: Wednesday August 27, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Wednesday August 27, 2014 MYT 7:42:02 AM

Khalid still MB until successor named

SHAH ALAM: Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim will remain as Mentri Besar until his successor is appointed – and there is no time frame given.

This follows a decree by Sultan of Selangor Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, who deferred the resignation of the embattled mentri besar until the appointment of the new chief.

The Sultan deferred Khalid’s resignation to ensure the administration of the state government continued smoothly, a statement from the palace issued yesterday read.

The statement, signed by Sultan Sharafuddin’s private secretary Datuk Mohamad Munir Bani, also ordered PAS, DAP and PKR leaders to submit more than two names each as the potential new mentri besar.

“This is to help the Sultan ascertain qualified candidates and give his consent on the appointment of any candidate perceived as suitable to become the state’s mentri besar,” the statement read.

This, according to Mohamad Munir, was in line with the convention that had been in practice in the appointment of the mentri besar.

He confirmed that Khalid had tendered his resignation.

He added that under the state legislation, the Sultan was given absolute discretion in the appointment of a mentri besar.

Khalid told a press conference that he would decide on the date to have an audience with the Sultan on his position as mentri besar on Monday.

“I will inform (on Monday) when I will meet the Sultan and then I will issue a media statement,” he told reporters after attending a dinner organised by SM Chung Hua alumni last night.

Khalid’s statement came almost two weeks after he declined to speak to the media, having been advised by the Sultan not to issue any statement until the Ruler returned home from abroad.

Prior to this, the media had failed to get any statement or comment from Khalid.

Tags / Keywords: Government, Nation, mb selangor

advertisement

Most Viewed

advertisement

advertisement