X Close

Nation

Published: Monday August 11, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Monday August 11, 2014 MYT 7:24:38 AM

First batch of cops to Ukraine returns home

SEPANG: The first batch of policemen sent to the crash site of Flight MH17 has returned home, sharing their experiences about the challenging times in Donestk, Ukraine.

“When we were there, there were sounds of gunfire and bombing but we managed to survive it all,” said Deputy Supt Lau Pang Tai, who led the first batch of officers.

DSP Lau, who is also the deputy commander of the FRU unit in Johor Baru, said they were only allowed to be at the crash site for not more than three hours at a time.

Speaking to reporters after their arrival at the KL International Airport yesterday, Bukit Aman Management Department director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Fuzi Harun said the team was assigned to the site to look for evidence on the crash.

The team which arrived home yesterday comprised 27 personnel from FRU and VAT69.

Another police officer Kpl Muhammad Hadzmir, said it had been a new experience for him.

Out of the three groups sent there, he said only one team was able to enter and search for evidence at the crash site.

Bernama quoted VAT69 member Sjn Mohd Zulkifli Ali as saying that the Malaysian team was prohibited from carrying any firearms to the crash site.

“We were not allowed to carry any firearms as the situation is still tense.

“In fact, we were not even allowed to decide when to enter the crash site.

“They will make that decision for us depending on the situation and safety level,” he said.

Tags / Keywords: Courts Crime, mh17, MH17 crash, MAS, Ukraine

advertisement

Most Viewed

advertisement

advertisement