Home > News > Nation
Thursday August 7, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday August 7, 2014 MYT 8:33:04 AM
SHAH ALAM: Selangor residents may have to brace for another water rationing exercise months after the last one that affected more than 60% of households.
The state government is reportedly keeping all options open as it decides on the need for another water rationing exercise.
Selangor exco in charge of infrastructure and public amenities Dr Ahmad Yunus Hairi said the decision would be announced after a meeting at the Selangor Economic Action Council (MTES) level today.
“We will let you know if there is going to be water rationing after the MTES meeting,” he said when met at the lobby of the state secretariat building after the executive council meeting.
He said the water crisis was not discussed at the exco meeting yesterday, and refused to comment on the chances of water rationing being implemented.
On efforts to pump water from the Bestari Jaya pond into Sungai Selangor, Dr Ahmad Yunus said it was going smoothly.
“There is still enough water at the ponds and the quality is still safe,” he said, adding that the percentage of non-revenue water (NRW) and water thefts was still “under control”.
“NRW and water thefts are at 30% to 34%.
“We will reduce the percentage significantly after the state takes over the water industry,” he said.
In a press statement issued yesterday, Dr Ahmad Yunus said quality tests on pond samples conducted by the Health Department showed that heavy metal residue was below the permitted amount and complied with standards.
“Alternative water supply from the ponds can provide raw water until October, when the southwest monsoon begins. The monsoon is expected to bring a higher amount of rainfall,” he added.
Dr Ahmad Yunus also commented on safety measures for the Hybrid Off-River Augmented System (Horas) operations, saying security had been increased with help from the police and Rela officers.
“The operations room established in the area is also operating round the clock to ensure the process of pumping water from the ponds is running smoothly,” he said.
The Horas is a storm-water harvesting system and accumulation of groundwater.
The facility has been the target of two sabotage acts in recent weeks. In the first, several armed men harassed the guards, but no accidents were reported.
Less than two weeks later, several men again intruded into the area, spoiling several pumps in the facility.
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, Family Community, water
Board apologises for 16-hour water interruption
Landslide damages pipe, causes water disruption in USJ, Puchong
Selangor Sultan: Finalise water deal now
Federal-Selangor water deal still fluid
Water supply disruption in Sabak Bernam, Hulu Selangor following emergency repair work
The Malaysian Insider CEO: I’d like to go back to being a journalist
Pandikar Amin: Permatang Pauh parliamentary seat now vacant
Muhyiddin: Respect Pardons Board decision on Anwar’s petition
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
The great South Australian adventure
Living away from Malaysia can trigger a lot of different longings
Drawing tourists to shop in Spain
Djokovic survives Miami scare; Murray claims 500th win
Developers urged to minimise price rise
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)