Home > News > Nation
Tuesday August 5, 2014 MYT 9:02:00 PM
Tuesday August 5, 2014 MYT 11:31:34 PM
by zuhrin azam ahmad
PUTRAJAYA: Eleven Malaysians, including eight students, have been evacuated from Tripoli as the security situation in Libya worsened.
The other three were two embassy officials and a businessman.
Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said they were taken to Tunis via Misurata Airport Tunisia on Sunday.
"They will be flown back to Malaysia and are expected to arrive at the KL International Airport soon.
"With the evacuation, the Malaysian Embassy in Tripoli is now temporarily closed," he said Tuesday.
Anifah added that there were still 17 Malaysians in Libya, 15 of whom were private sector employees and two students.
He said the working Malaysians have been advised to evacuate as soon as possible.
"Their respective employers are looking after their safety and well-being.
"The two students have been moved to a safer place called Zawiyah, located approximately 30km from Tripoli
"Their welfare is being looked after by their college," he said.
Wisma Putra officials handling the evacuation process said the working Malaysians had apparently refused to be leave on grounds that they had been in Libya for a long time and knew the country very well.
"They said they believe their companies would take care of them and if they feel the need (to be evacuated) arises, then they would leave," added the official.
Tags / Keywords:
Libya, Foreign Ministry, Evacuation
11 Malaysians evacuated from Tripoli due to militia war
‘M’sia guided by moderation’
Police hunting duo who stole diplomat’s car
Govt to come up with vehicle entry permit rate soon
‘Worried about going home’
Activist on sedition charge seeking asylum
Allocate land for Chinese schools, Pakatan told
Firefly to increase JB-Ipoh flights from Nov 1
HTC One E8: One direction
Dortmund slump to fourth Bundesliga defeat in a row
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)