Home > News > Nation
Tuesday August 5, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Tuesday August 5, 2014 MYT 8:13:01 AM
by stephanie lee
KOTA KINABALU: The dusk-to-dawn curfew in the waters off Sabah’s east coast has been extended in the interest of the people’s safety, said Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman.
He urged residents in the affected coastal areas to cooperate with the authorities, adding that the curfew extension showed that the government was serious about curbing cross-border crime in Sabah.
Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) commander Datuk Abdul Rashid Harun had announced on Sunday that the curfew, which started on July 19 and was to end on Saturday, had been extended until Aug 17.
The curfew came in the wake of an attack on two policemen at the Mabul Water Bungalows in Semporna on July 12. It covers three nautical miles (5.56km) from Sabah’s eastern shores to the international border with the Philippines as well as a small portion of the Indonesian border near Tawau.
Some 362 nautical miles (670.42km) – from Tanjung Pundaras in Sandakan to part of Pulau Sebatik, near Tawau in the districts of Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Semporna, Kunak and Tawau – are affected.
“I am happy with the curfew order and how it has turned out. I hope all of us, especially those affected by the curfew, will support this move,” Musa said at a press conference here yesterday.
Abdul Rashid said the curfew extension was approved by Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
Abdul Rashid said no special permits for fishing in curfew areas had been approved but special passes had been issued to some fishermen to traverse the curfew areas to get to non-curfew areas.
In the July 12 attack, Kpl Ab Rajah Jamuan, 32, was killed while Kons Zakiah Aleip, 26, was taken hostage by Filipino gunmen.
Also being held captive is Chan Sai Chuin, 32, who was abducted from a fish farm in Kunak, Tawau, on June 16.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Nation, Courts Crime, sea curfew, eastern sabah, esscom, musa aman
Commando charged with possessing printed Islamic State material
Court ruling should not deter commentary, says Azmi Sharom
Court dismisses Azmi’s challenge, rules Sedition Act valid
Azmi Sharom arrives at Palace of Justice for Sedition Act ruling
Ex-Malacca CM claims trial to sedition charge
Education Ministry: Schools nationwide to re-open Wednesday, except in Langkawi
Niz Nazmi charged third time for same offence
Turtle nesting to be closely guarded
Duo charged for machete attack captured on video
DVS to work closely with NGOs on animal welfare related issues
NGOs, journalist groups sad over failed bid to rule Sedition Act unconstitutional
A touch of elegance and glamour
Wider room for local guides
Multinational company presents award to best student in Utar’s chemistry faculty
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)