Home > News > Nation
Sunday August 3, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday August 3, 2014 MYT 7:12:32 AM
Say cheese: Nazri (second left) posing with tourists at the Unesco Heritage site in Armenian Street. - Bernama
GEORGE TOWN: Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz has come out in support of Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng’s proposal to bar foreigners from being the main cooks of popular local fare.
Nazri said he “totally agreed” with Lim that Penang’s street food should be prepared by locals.
“We can’t have Penang hawker food cooked by foreigners who would not understand the taste.
“People come to Penang for
its famous food such as nasi kandar, assam laksa and koay teow basah.
“We can’t just bank on the branding, it would not be the same,” he said.
Nazri added that locals should be proud of Penang food and encouraged the younger generation of Malaysians to continue cooking such food to uphold the standard.
A seven-question survey regarding Lim’s proposal is being carried out by Penang Municipal Council officers at hawker centres until Aug 31.
The public can also submit their feedback to www.mppp.gov.my.
Nazri said there was no question of the Federal Government not promoting tourism in Penang and assured his ministry would be working with the state government.
“What Bali is to Indonesia, Penang is to Malaysia. The Pearl of the Orient is the gem, the crown jewel of Malaysian tourism as far as I’m concerned,” said Nazri after he and Lim unveiled two modern benches known as Figure #23 and Figure #25 in Armenian Street here yesterday.
The benches, made from twisted steel poles by Malaysian artist Azman Ismail, were sponsored by the National Visual Arts Gallery as part of the George Town Festival (GTF) 2014 project titled “The Chairs – Secret Gardens of Earthly Delights II” where local and international artists created quirky, unique and appropriate seats as an artistic contribution to urban spaces.
Nazri also said the Tourism and Culture Ministry was confident of achieving its target of attracting 28 million tourists this year despite several misfortunes that befell the nation recently.
“Figures for January to May showed that we are on target, with a 10% to 11% increase in arrivals monthly compared to the same period last year,” he added.
Nazri said the increase also meant that the country was on track to achieving its target of having 36 million tourist arrivals and RM168bil in tourism receipts by 2020.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Penang, gem, tourism
Nazri: Scrutiny of visa application service charges in China needed
Penang providing face masks to primary schools
Haze advisory issued to schools in Penang
This year’s Batik Fun Walk aims to attract 3,000 participants
Last gallop for rising young star
TalentCorp turns Malaysia’s brain drain to brain gain
Artists capture the feelings of survivors on canvas
1,000 bikers set to liven up Kuching
Sony unveils Xperia Z5 phones
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)