Home > News > Nation
Saturday July 26, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday July 26, 2014 MYT 7:37:18 AM
PUTRAJAYA: The Attorney-General is continuing the contempt of court proceedings against lawyer Datuk V.K. Lingam and 24 others for accusing a panel of three judges of plagiarising in a civil judgment.
The Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) is applying to be an intervener in the proceedings in order to proceed with the matter.
A senior federal counsel from the AGC said they wanted to be a party in the committal proceedings.
“Nobody is taking the steps to stand for the court. The liquidators cannot simply withdraw their bid to cite Lingam and 24 others for contempt of court.
“This is a public interest case,” the counsel said.
Under Order 52 of the Rules of Court 2012 for committal, anyone who has purged his contempt can be jailed, fined or get away after issuing an unreserved apology.
The counsel said the move followed remarks by Federal Court judge Justice Suriyadi Halim Omar in June to the parties involved to reconsider their stand when the liquidators want to discontinue the action.
A source familiar with the case said that the intervener application had also been served on Lingam’s solicitors.
A check with the Federal Court registry revealed that the case has been rescheduled for hearing on Aug 7. Justice Suriyadi ruled in August last year that the application by Lingam and 24 others to set aside leave granted by the apex court to commence contempt proceedings against them was without merit.
The Federal Court had in April 2012 granted leave to two liquidators to initiate contempt proceedings against Lingam and the others over a review application on issues of plagiarism by a panel of three judges.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, lingam
Attorney-General to take over contempt of court proceedings against Datuk V.K. Lingam and 24 others
A-G to take over proceedings in alleged 'plagiarised' judgment case
Lawyer V K Lingam and 24 others facing possible contempt proceedings
Khalid to file contempt proceedings against Govt and ex-MACC chief
Selangor MB to initiate contempt proceedings against government, ex-MACC chief
Palanivel: Camerons RM40mil anti-flood measures by November next year
Withholding passports illegal, Govt warns
Putting a lid on the bigots
Palanivel calls protesters troublemakers, downplays incident
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
Airbnb in Amsterdam tourist tax deal, first in Europe
Moscow hotel goes halal in bid to woo Muslim visitors
Community-acquired pneumonia: Is your child infected?
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)