Home > News > Nation
Monday July 7, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday July 7, 2014 MYT 7:48:13 AM
KUANTAN: Fifteen individuals arrested during Himpunan Hijau’s recent protest against the Lynas rare earth refinery at Gebeng are expected to be charged tomorrow.
Himpunan Hijau secretary Bang Seet Ping said the 15 had received phone calls from the police notifying them to appear at the Kuantan court complex.
She said they had been told that they were facing charges of taking part in an unlawful assembly and using criminal force to deter a public servant from discharging his duty.
The protest, dubbed 622 Shutdown Lynas, was held in front of the Lynas plant on June 22.
Up to 16 people, including Himpunan Hijau leader Wong Tack, were arrested after they refused to follow a police order to disperse.
Those arrested, except for New Zealander Natalie Lowrey, were released on police bail on June 23.
Lowrey was released on June 27 and has returned home to Sydney.
Bang said police had told her that the Attorney-General’s Chambers did not give any orders to charge Lowrey.
Tags / Keywords:
Family Community, Lynas
Buyer finally gets house, after waiting more than a decade
Air rage 2014: Things you just cannot do on flights
Chinese daily fights extremism with moderation campaign
Militants preying on civil servants
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
Khan donates 30,000 pounds shorts to Peshawar school
Rise of the car-sharing apps poses threat to auto sector
Moscow hotel goes halal in bid to woo Muslim visitors
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)