Home > News > Nation
Monday June 30, 2014 MYT 1:54:00 PM
Monday June 30, 2014 MYT 2:03:05 PM
KUALA LUMPUR: The Home Ministry denied reports posted on social media about cases of children being kidnapped in Malaysia for their organs.
Deputy Home Minister Datuk Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said so far, the police had not received any report on such a case.
"Claims of children being kidnapped and their organs harvested for sale as reported on social websites especially via Facebook and WhatsApp are merely rumours.
"Intelligence confirmed no information was received in the country or abroad on syndicated sale of human organs by any quarters from this country," he said during the Dewan Negara sitting on Monday.
He was responding to a question by Senator Datuk Raja Roopiah Raja Abdullah on the matter and plans by the Government to address the issue.
Wan Junaidi said the process of harvesting organs involved clinical procedures that had to be conducted carefully, and not as described in social media.
He advised the public to not easily believe such information spread by irresponsible quarters meant to create fear among the people.
To a supplementary question by Raja Roopiah on the number of child kidnap cases in Malaysia, Wan Junaidi said five cases had been reported between January and June this year, and three of the cases were resolved. - Bernama
Tags / Keywords:
Datuk Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar, Facebook, Dewan Negara, Datuk Raja Roopiah Raja Abdullah, WhatsApp
Penang bans foreigners from cooking hawker fare
Rizalman extradited to New Zealand
Soil still moving at landslide area
Ebola checks at airports found wanting, say journalists
Man finds molar in his meal at popular place
Najib wants R&D efforts to match demand
Bukit Beruntung landslide: Round-the-clock policing for evacuated homes, says Rohani
MyTeksi calls for ‘level playing field’ to compete with Uber
Eight-nil was good but we can play better, Koeman says
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)