Home > News > Nation
Sunday June 22, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday June 22, 2014 MYT 7:21:56 AM
by a. ruban
SHAH ALAM: Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah has not given his consent for Perkasa to rally its members outside the royal palace here tomorrow, Selangor Islamic Affairs Council (Mais) chairman Datuk Mohamad Adzib Mohd Isa said.
He said, however, that Selangor Perkasa leader Abu Bakar Yahya had handed over a letter to him (Mohamad Adzib) on Friday to make an official request on the matter.
“However, that letter was not presented to the Sultan as he had left for an overseas trip,” Mohamad Adzib said in a statement here yesterday, denying a news portal report that permission had been given to Perkasa members to assemble outside the palace.
“In this matter, the Sultan has not given consent for any rally whatsoever to be held at any venue,” Mohamad Adzib said.
In another development, Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim said the way forward towards resolving the issue of the seized Bibles was to first get the state legal adviser to discuss the matter with the Attorney-General.
“In fact, this was what the Sultan and I talked about in our meeting last Thursday,” he said after opening a mosque and surau management seminar here yesterday.
“Our way is to get the state legal adviser to discuss with the A-G to solve the matter in regards with the statement by the Sultan,” he said, referring to the Ruler’s orders to the Selangor Islamic Affairs Department (Jais) to bring the matter of the seized items from the Bible Society of Malaysia (BSM) to the attention of the court and made according to existing and applicable legal procedures.
The Sultan also advised politicians and others not directly involved in the issue to refrain from making confusing and distressing statements and interfering in the issue.
The Bible saga started on Jan 2 when Jais officers confiscated 321 Bibles in Bahasa Malaysia and Iban language from the BSM over alleged infringement of the Selangor Non-Islamic Religions (Control of Propagation Among Non-Muslims) Enactment.
On June 11, A-G Tan Sri Gani Patail said his office would not proffer any charges against BSM and considered the case closed, while advising Jais to take the next course of action “in accordance with the law”.
Jais and Mais have yet to return the Bibles and have instead urged the public prosecutor to get a court order on whether to dispose of or return the seized books.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Selangor Mentri Besar, Bibles
Follow proper procedure, Kurup tells Bible importers
MB Azmin continues attack on Khalid over Selangor water deal
Religion can be a major force of unification, says Mais
Move forward and let Azmin do his job, Anwar tells Chegubard
Christian group concerned over Mais letter regarding returned Bibles
Ong Kian Ming: Thirst cancellation dents Malaysia's name
Asean sec-gen Minh: Urgent to engage China over sea spat
I would've hugged them, says pastor of 'cross' protesters
Cops foil terror plot with arrest of 12 men linked to IS, explosives seized
Next stop – Sensational Singapore
How Malaysians abroad are bridging a skills gap
Apple unleashes ad trio for Watch debut
Simon Yates quietly grows into grand Tour rider
Travel Share: Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay in a nutshell
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)