Home > News > Nation
Wednesday June 18, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday June 18, 2014 MYT 10:29:34 AM
by muguntan vanar
Staying vigilant: Mohammad Mentek (second from left) talking with Chin (second from right) during his visit to the fish farm at Kg Sapang in Kunak, Sabah.
LAHAD DATU: Chin Pek Nyen is keeping two cellular phones, one hers and the other her husband’s, close to her side with the batteries fully charged.
She is waiting patiently for word from the Filipino abductors who took Chan Sai Chun away on Monday.
Apparently, the four abductors slipped into southern Philippines after grabbing the 32-year-old and Filipino worker Maslan, 20, from their fish farm off Kg Sapang in Kunak at 12.45am.
“So far, I have not received any calls. I am ready to talk to them,” she told Sabah CID chief Senior Asst Comm Omar Mammah, who visited the farm, about 60km from here.
Looking stressed but still composed, Chin said she prayed for his safety. Following the incident, she immediately sent off her two-year-old niece and five-year-old nephew, who were under their care, to stay with other relatives temporarily.
“I will wait for the contact to be made. They will call, I will wait here,” Chin said, aware of past incidents when gunmen contacted families to demand a ransom.
The gunmen left on a 40HP boat, apparently headed towards Pulau Batik before crossing over to Tawi Tawi Island in southern Philippines. They have yet to be spotted by Philippines police and security forces.
However, a poser remains over whether Maslan is still a hostage. Witnesses claimed he jumped off the speeding boat and swam to shore.
Maslan was working at a neighbouring fish farm and was forced by the abductors to guide them to Chan’s quarters during the incident.
SAC Omar said the gunmen also stole two television sets, an outboard engine and a drill after they forced open one of the doors to an office in the farm. This was when they grabbed Chan, who came out of a room to investigate what the noise and dogs barking were about.
Chin, who locked herself inside the room upon seeing the intruders, said they pointed their gun at her husband, who pleaded with them not to disturb his family. She said he told them: “I will follow you.”
Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) director-general Datuk Mohammad Mentek said the intruders had inside help as they would have needed someone with knowledge of the area to guide them.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, kidnapping
Remand extended for couple who allegedly abused five-year-old girl
Teenager held for threatening to circulate girl's naked video
Anwar to appear in court July 27 to appoint Syarie counsel
Cops probe ruckus at DAP talk in Johor
Thai, Malaysian police set to discuss Justo case next week
Free durians in Kedah
Keep calm and think rationally, Ku Nan tells Umno members
Sabah footballer Rozaimi in critical condition after accident
Look into the plight of Bajau Laut, urges NGO
Johor Crown Prince reminds Johoreans to be united
The 3 unexpected life events that leave us in debt
LBU signs MoU to deliver Sarawak highway project
Need to improve lives of the disabled
Reddit CEO apologises for outrage over employee dismissal
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)