X Close


Published: Wednesday June 11, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Wednesday June 11, 2014 MYT 7:21:24 AM

Report reveals Huntley died at least three days before being found

KUANTAN: Initial post-mortem report reveals that Briton Gareth David Huntley died at least three days before his body was discovered in the Mentawak River in Pulau Tioman on June 4.

Pahang police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Sharifuddin Ab Ghani said the cause of death was still undetermined according to the hospital and needed further investigation.

On foreign press reports which implied that Huntley was murdered, SDC Sharifuddin said the police were not interested in such speculations.

“Our findings and process of investigation are all according to the law,” he told reporters after launching a blood donation drive here yesterday.

He also discounted rumours of foul play, saying police have yet to find any criminal element in Huntley’s death.

“We listened to what the doctor told us and looking at the scene of the incident, there are no criminal elements,” said SDC Sharifuddin.

Huntley, who had come to the island to volunteer at a turtle conservation project, had gone trekking alone to the Lubuk Teja waterfall on May 27.

His decomposed body was discovered by search and rescue personnel about 20m from a kayak storage unit at the Juara Lagoon chalet more than a week after he went missing.

Tags / Keywords: Courts & Crime, Gareth Huntley, Tioman, dead, SDCP Sharifuddin


  1. A joyous Merdeka celebration
  2. Cops arrest 156 voluntary patrol members after state-level Merdeka procession
  3. Two youths killed in crash while racing in their Evo
  4. They acted like gangsters, IGP Khalid says of PPS
  5. Mei Fun: Police must arrest those behind attack on Guan Eng's home
  6. World champion still a dream for Chong Wei
  7. Proton offers sneak peek of new compact car
  8. Cops swoop in to arrest PPS members after Penang Merdeka parade
  9. 57 years of Malaysia
  10. Riot erupts after Sarawak-Perak football match in Kuching