Home > News > Nation
Monday June 2, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday June 2, 2014 MYT 10:00:29 AM
by loshana k shagar
Welcome: Najib being greeted on his arrival at the Miri airport. Among them is Sarawak Chief Minister Tan Sri Adenan Satem (fifth right). Najib, who is on a two-day visit to the state in conjunction with the Gawai Dayak celebration, later paid a courtesy call on Sarawak Yang Di- Pertua Negeri Tun Abdul Taib Mahmud. -Bernama
PETALING JAYA: Malaysia and China are committed to finding a negotiated solution to the long-standing territorial dispute between the two countries over the South China Sea, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
In an exclusive interview with China Central Television in Beijing on Friday, Najib said he recognised that both countries have their differences on this matter but the key was to manage the differences in a rational and mature manner.
“First, we must be committed based on the principles of the Declaration of Conduct. In other words, we reject the use of force, we don’t want to increase tension and we want to look for a negotiated solution,” he said during his six-day official visit to China which ended yesterday.
He also expressed joy on the release of Shanghai woman Gao Huayun, who was kidnapped from the Singamata Reef Resort in Semporna and held captive in Jolo in southern Philippines for almost two months.
“I told those in charge to do what needs to be done to ensure that by the time I meet President Xi Jinping, I can deliver good news.
“Thankfully, they accomplished that. When I conveyed the message to President Xi (in a bilateral meeting on Friday), he was very, very delighted, to say the least,” he said.
During the interview, Najib also defended the decision to focus the search for Flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean.
“We were guided by the evidence and to the best of our knowledge, it has been agreed by all experts, including the Chinese, British, United States and Malaysian experts, that the aircraft ended at the southern part of the Indian Ocean,” he said.
In JOHOR BARU, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said authorities from Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Britain had assured Malaysia during the ninth Five Power Defence Arrangement meeting of their continuous support as the search for Malaysia Airlines jetliner entered a new phase.
Officials from the four countries, he said, had been briefed on the four committees set up for the new phase, including a bilateral committee for the search.
Najib hails meaningful and successful China visit
People factor key to maintaining strong Malaysia-China relations
MCA lauds Najib’s personal supervision of special panel
Tags / Keywords:
Politics, malaysia, china, najib, south china sea, mh370, gao
AUCMS needs a solution fast MMC firm in maintaining student quota
Green light for foreign law firms
MBPJ: Only mayor has right to appoint legal firms
Zahid Hamidi: Operations by 'killer guard' security firm now illegal
Foreign law firm Bill tabled
Members of Wong clan gather for Dongzhi
EC: Delineation notice not gazetted this month due to floods
‘Sell baby to settle RM50 debt’
10 years on, tide of memories still hurts
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
'Digital detox' for flyers thanks to Lufthansa
Remembering Tsunami 2004: Aceh family reunited
Inactive Chong Wei to lose No.1 ranking to Chen Long
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)