Home > News > Nation
Friday May 23, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday May 23, 2014 MYT 7:05:48 AM
GEORGE TOWN: The 12 people detained in connection with the storming of the Penang State Assembly have been released on police bail.
Penang police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Wira Abdul Rahim Hanafi said the men, from Umno and several non-governmental organisations, were released at about 5am yesterday.
The 12 were allegedly part of a group of protesters who had gathered outside the assembly in the afternoon to demand an apology from Seri Delima assemblyman R.S.N. Rayer.
SDCP Abdul Rahim said investigations are being carried out under Section 147 of the Penal Code for rioting, Section 427 for causing mischief and damage and Section 448 for trespassing.
George Town OCPD Asst Comm Mior Faridalatrash Wahid said police have so far recorded 19 statements from the suspects and eyewitnesses.
“We will wrap up investigations soon. Once that is done, we will hand over the investigation papers to the deputy public prosecutor for the next course of action,” he said when contacted yesterday.
Tags / Keywords:
Politics, Courts Crime, police, protesters, mior
Three held over murder of canopy dealer
Blaze in Likas leaves 150 people homeless
FA Cup final: Cops praise supporters' conduct
Call for Philippines to help cut Sabah border crime
Hunt for Mat Malaya hots up in Sabah
139 graves and 28 trafficking camps found in Perlis
Opposition MPs want transparent probe into human trafficking
Sun bear Natalie begins new life
Liow: MAS to focus on medium range routes
No problem hanging out with George Clooney
Passion and food go hand in hand
Stokes leads England to dramatic win at Lord's
Alibaba's latest gambit in fighting fakes: foster local brands
MATTA launches GST navigator
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)