Home > News > Nation
Friday May 16, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday May 16, 2014 MYT 6:55:45 AM
by neville spykerman
PETALING JAYA: Malaysian companies have not been spared in the anti-China protests in southern Vietnam that have left one worker dead, scores injured and a trail of destruction.
Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said that unlike in the north where protests had been peaceful, protesters in Binh Duong, one of the most industrialised provinces in southern Vietnam, have been harassing factory workers, and breaking in, ransacking and destroying factory premises.
This in turn had disrupted factory operations, he added.
“Malaysian companies have not been spared and have also suffered from these senseless attacks,” said Anifah in a statement here yesterday.
However, he said the Malaysian Embassy in Vietnam had so far received no report of any Malaysian injured in the protests.
“The situation is currently under control,” he said.
Anti-China protests, sparked off by Beijing’s move to build an oil rig in disputed waters in the South China Sea, have left one Chinese worker dead and scores injured.
Malaysia, said Anifah, also welcomed the assistance provided by the Vietnamese authorities to beef up security measures and restore peace and stability in the province.
He said Malaysia urged those involved in the protests to refrain from further aggravating the situation.
“Malaysia appreciates the Vietnamese government’s ongoing efforts to contain the riots in southern Vietnam which have caused loss of property and billions of dong in damage,” he said.
He also advised all Malaysians in Vietnam to be vigilant and stay away from areas affected by rioting, adding that the Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City was closely monitoring the situation.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Vietnam, racial riots
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)