Home > News > Nation
Thursday May 8, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday May 8, 2014 MYT 7:37:32 AM
KOTA TINGGI: The 90 bodies exhumed from the five Chinese cemeteries in Pengerang have either been reburied or cremated in accordance with the wishes of the affected families.
A representative from Pengerang Memorial Sdn Bhd (PMSB) said work was going on smoothly, thanks to the cooperation of family members.
”Our latest survey shows that there were 1,646 graves with about 500 graves with no known living descendants in the five cemeteries,” he said in a statement.
It was previously reported that the graves were being relocated to make way for the mammoth Pengerang Integrated Petroleum Complex project.
The PMSB representative urged family members who had relatives buried at the cemeteries to register themselves so that workers could schedule the exhumation date and arrange for relevant ceremonies to be conducted.
The exhumation works for those buried at the cemeteries started on April 22.
Kota Tinggi district officer Mohd Noorazam Osman said an additional 25 families agreed for their loved ones to be relocated.
“A total of 680 graves have been registered so far. Although the administrative processes had been declared closed on Jan 15, we are continuing to register those who come forward.”
He said those wishing to appoint their own work teams to relocate the graves should discuss the matter with PMSB.
Tags / Keywords:
Family & Community, pengerang, graves, relocation
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)