Home > News > Nation
Friday April 25, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday April 25, 2014 MYT 8:12:00 AM
KOTA KINABALU: Some 600 schools in Sabah will be given a facelift when a RM500mil application by the state government is approved by the federal authorities.
State education director Datuk Jame Alip expects the allocation to be approved by next week.
“We identified about 600 out of the 1,000 primary and secondary schools in the state which badly need to be renovated,” he said.
Jame said most of these schools were built in the 1980s and needed to be refurbished for safety purposes, adding that funds would be distributed to the schools when the state’s application is approved.
Meanwhile, Jame said a notice had been issued to all school heads and principals in Sabah to identify potentially hazardous areas around their schools following the incident where a 10-year-old pupil here was pierced in the cheek by a loose iron rod from a drain grating.
On the department’s contribution to the medical expenses of the boy, Hugan Issacs, he said this was being taken care of by the school’s appointed insurance company. All 500,000 schoolchildren in Sabah are covered by an appointed insurance company, he said, adding that the department would help Hugan’s family should the need arise.
Tags / Keywords:
Education, Government, schools, federal funds, education ministry, renovation, hugan issac
Court to decide on Indira Gandhi’s case next month
Ex-CM: Dr M was off the mark in defending Perkasa chief
Sabah cops investigating link between dead robbers and Sulu militants
Sisters in Islam files for judicial review on fatwa
Ministry leaves it to UM to handle campus security breach
Double efforts in areas with no MCA reps, divisions told
Lenovo closes deal to buy Motorola from Google
Formula One tweaks qualifying due to fewer cars
Explore Tibet’s Potala Palace’s spiritual prowess
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)