Home > News > Nation
Tuesday April 22, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Tuesday April 22, 2014 MYT 7:11:59 AM
Unfortunate misstep: A fireman helping the pupil to his feet before he was taken to hospital.
KOTA KINABALU: A Year Four pupil playing with his friends in his school compound ended with a metal rod piercing his right cheek.
The culprit was a loose steel rod that was originally welded to the drain grating. As the boys were running all over the place, one of them stepped on the rod, which caused it to be jacked upwards.
Apparently, the boy, 10, was unable to stop in time, and ran into the metre-long rod with a diameter of about 1.5cm.
A parent who was at the school sent the victim to hospital after Fire and Rescue Department personnel arrived to saw off one end of the rod still attached to the grate.
Kota Kinabalu district police chief Assist Comm Jauteh Dikun said the incident happened at about 12.50pm yesterday and a report had been lodged.
The boy was admitted to the Likas Women and Children’s Hospital, where an operation was later carried out to remove the rod.
His condition is not serious, and he is warded overnight for observation.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, boy cheek rod
Shafee obtains fresh injunction, lawyers confirm defamation suit against Bar Council
Man bashed up over borrowed motorcycle helmet
Police to investigate news portal’s chief editor over articles
Cement truck rolls down hill, crushes car in freak accident
Man in Kelantan killed by flying fire extinguisher
PAS could be wiped out in next GE, says Kit Siang
The Edge publisher, TMI chief executive arrested for sedition
Penang cops: Seven Gang 04 members involved in slashing of businessman
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
The great South Australian adventure
Living away from Malaysia can trigger a lot of different longings
IBM says to invest US$3bil in 'Internet of Things' unit
Travel Share: Kerala’s other charms
Thousands take part in Holi celebration by temple
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)