Home > News > Nation
Tuesday April 22, 2014 MYT 4:20:00 PM
Tuesday April 22, 2014 MYT 8:15:43 PM
by stephanie lee
KOTA KINABALU: Huguan Isaac (pic) believes divine intervention saved him from more serious harm after a 1.2m-long iron rod pierced his right cheek on Monday.
The Year Four SK Sacred Heart pupil was waiting for his school bus inside the nearby Sacred Heart Cathedral compound when he stepped on a loose iron rod which subsequently pierced through the cheek from inside his mouth.
The boy's mother, when met on Tuesday, said that the plucky 10-year-old told them that God had protected him from more serious injury during the 12.50pm mishap.
He also assured his family that there was no need for them to worry, as he was a strong boy, said Huguan's mother.
"He even told me not to cry anymore as he is strong and God saved him," she said when met at the Women and Children's hospital in Likas near here, where he was being warded.
The mother said the boy, who received 10 stitches on his cheek after 30 minutes of surgery, was recovering well and was waiting for his friends to visit him at the hospital.
She added she was relieved he did was not incur more serious injuries in the incident.
"He keeps asking what time it is and whether his friends will be coming to visit him," she said.
Hospital director Dr Tan Bee Hwai said Huguan was recovering from his cheek wound but he was not yet fit to be discharged.
"We are monitoring Huguan's condition and there are at least two round checks from doctors or nurses a day," he said.
"It was fortunate that the rod only passed through his cheek and not to the skull," Tan added.
Meanwhile, Sacred Heart Cathedral assistant rector Father Jeffrey Gumu said its staff would check all its drain caps, and other possible threats around the compound.
He said they would also coordinate with the Sacred Heart school staff on a feasible course of action to prevent similar incidences from happening.
"By right, the students should not be allowed into the church.
"Parents, as well as school bus drivers, are supposed to pick up or drop off pupils at the school itself," he said, adding that he understood that the limited space at the school forced students to wait at the church, which was located just beside it.
Tags / Keywords:
Iron Rod, Boy, Recovering
Home alone boy dies in fire at grandma’s
Seven-year-old boy in China electrocuted after urinating on transformer
Woman held for throwing newborn baby in drain
Thousands beg Australia not to deport autistic Filipino boy
Eight-year-old boy falls to his death from third floor of apartment building
Binding ties through LEP 2.0
DPM: We are working hard to improve SOPs to better face disasters
Pahang to help those affected by illegal farms op
Nazir Razak slams 1MDB board on Instagram
No problem hanging out with George Clooney
Passion and food go hand in hand
Father's Day: Five high-tech gifts for under US$150
Still standing 100 years later
Youngsters show great spirit at camp
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)