Home > News > Nation
Saturday April 19, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday April 19, 2014 MYT 12:59:23 PM
by beh yuen hui
Winning smiles: The Star’s deputy group chief editor Leanne Goh (second from left) rejoicing with (from left) StarMetro’s Vincent Tan, Yip, Bavani M and Priya Menon at the awards ceremony in Kuala Lumpur.
KUALA LUMPUR: The Star bagged two prizes at the Malaysian Press Institute MPI-Petronas Malaysian Journalism Awards 2013.
Assistant news editor Yip Yoke Teng clinched the Best Public Service Reporting award with her article, Conditions going downhill.
“The article highlights the rape of Bukit Enggang due to illegal logging and sand mining, as a result of poor management by the many government agencies monitoring the former forest reserve,” said Yip.
“The damage is not only on the environment, but also poses serious danger to villagers in the vicinity. I hope with the win, Bukit Enggang and the hills of Hulu Langat can one day be saved,” she added.
Yip won for best environment reporting two years ago.
The Star’s journalist Isabelle Lai won for Best Environment Reporting for the second consecutive year with her series of stories on Cameron Highlands — The ravaging goes on, Saving the Highlands and Pos Terisu areas raided.
Both received RM15,000 each at the awards presentation ceremony here last night.
Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Mohd Yassin said he was proud with the high commitment of the local media, especially the mainstream media that practised responsible journalism.
“This is shown in their reporting on the MH370 tragedy, which has caught the attention of the media worldwide,” he added.
The MPI Awards was launched in 1980 to recognise the nation’s best journalism works. Its name was changed to the current one with Petronas coming in as the sponsor in 1994.
A total of RM300,000 prize money was presented to winners in 12 categories.
Following is the complete list of winners for the 2013 MPI-Petronas Malaysian Journalism Awards here tonight.
* Kajai Award : Wan Norhayati Wan Alias (Berita Harian)
* Special Award : Khalidah Abidah Amin (ex-NST journalist) and Lailah Elok(RTM Sabah)
* A Samad Ismail Young Journalist Award : Sakini Mohd Said (Bernama) and Pauline Wong May Wan (The Heat)
* Best News Reporting : Pearl Siok Li and Haresh Singh (The Malay Mail)
* Best Public Service Reporting : Yip Yoke Teng (The Star)
* Best Investigative Reporting : Yushaimi Yahaya, Sharanjit Singh and Badrol Hisham Bidin (New Straits Times)
* Best International Reporting : Syed Azwan Syed Ali (Berita Harian)
* Best Feature Writing : Joseph Wong Fook Ming (Focus Malaysia)
* Best Column Writing : Fauziah Md Arof (Utusan Malaysia)
* Best Petronas - Environmental Reporting : Isabelle Lai Lin Hui (The Star)
* Best Photo Journalism : Mohamad Nasarudin Mohamed Adib (Bernama)
* Best Photo Essay : Mohd Aizuddin Akmal Saad (Harian Metro)
* Best Video News : Tan Su Lin and Hairul Wildan Haroun Al Rashid (Astro Awani)
* Best Video Documentary: Irin Putri Azmi and Jebat M. Roseli (TV3)
The winner of the Kajai Award received a cash prize of RM30,000, a 100gm gold coin and a mini Ipad.
Winners in the other categories received a cash prize of RM15,000, except for the Best Photo Essay, who received a cash prize of RM 12,500.
Tags / Keywords:
Environment, Nation, MPI awards 2013
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)