Home > News > Nation
Saturday April 12, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday April 12, 2014 MYT 10:46:16 AM
No entry: Deepa’s (inset, right) house is all locked up after Izwan (inset, left) allegedly abducted their son.
SEREMBAN: S. Deepa, whose son was allegedly abducted by her now-Muslim ex-husband barely 48 hours after she had obtained custody of her two children from the High Court, has gone into hiding.
She is afraid that Izwan Abdullah will try to abduct their daughter as well and the police’s stand that they can take no action against him because he has received a custody order from the Syariah court has only increased her fears.
The 30-year-old clerk, who was rejoicing after the High Court here awarded her custody of her nine-year-old daughter and six-year-old son, said she was now worried because Izwan, 31, had been spotted near her house.
Deepa, who felt the police’s refusal to investigate Izwan for the alleged kidnapping made “no sense”, said she was left with no other choice but to temporarily leave her house at the Rumah Rakyat Sungai Rotan scheme in Jelebu.
“I am devastated by the police’s inaction. This is ridiculous. The High Court gave me custody after hearing out both sides.
“Are the police trying to tell me that the High Court order means nothing?” asked a sobbing Deepa.
She said she was left with no choice but to leave as neighbours told her they had seen Izwan – a former lorry driver who is now with the Yayasan Kasih Sayang Negeri Sembilan – near her housing area on Thursday.
“I had to move out as I would be powerless to stop him if he decides to abduct my daughter as well.
“I don’t even know where I am supposed to go with my girl who should be in school,” she said, adding that her daughter also missed several months of school last year when she had to hide her after Izwan abducted their son from the salon she previously owned.
Deepa also asked why the police had yet to arrest Izwan for violating an interim protection order she had obtained from a magistrate’s court.
“When I called the investigating officer, she told me they were still waiting for instructions.
“My son was snatched from me on Wednesday. I just don’t know who to turn to for help any more,” she said.
Izwan’s co-counsel Muhammad Faiz Fadzil said he had no knowledge of his client’s whereabouts.
“I have not heard from him after he instructed me to file an appeal on Monday,” he said, adding that the appeal against the High Court order was filed yesterday.
Police have also been unable to locate Izwan.
Deepa’s lawyer Jaya Malar Raman said her team would file contempt proceedings against Izwan, previously known as N. Viran, next week.
“We are now sorting out the paper work. Once the court issues a warrant of arrest, the police will have no choice but to detain him,” she said.
Prior to this, Deepa claimed that Izwan abandoned the family in 2012 and embraced Islam. He then allegedly abducted their two children in April last year and converted them without telling her.
Deepa obtained the interim protection order against her ex-husband after he allegedly assaulted her while taking their son away from her salon last August.
On Monday, the High Court here awarded custody of both the children to Deepa after deciding that the law that had jurisdiction over matters pertaining to a civil marriage was the Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976. Izwan then handed over both children to Deepa.
Two days later, he is alleged to have abducted the son from Deepa’s house.
Deepa’s remedy going to involve more face time with legal system
Former law ministers take police to task
High Court: Public servants don’t have immunity from lawsuits
Time to re-look law, say politicians
Dept adviser: Syariah court order takes precedence
It’s a violation of the law, says association
Tags / Keywords:
Family & Community, deepak, convert, izwan abdullah
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)