Home > News > Nation
Friday April 11, 2014 MYT 12:16:00 PM
Friday April 11, 2014 MYT 1:33:56 PM
by m. kumar
KUALA LUMPUR: Police will not take any action against a man for taking his six-year-old-son from his ex-wife’s house, despite a High Court order granting her custody of their two children.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar (pic) said this was because the man, Izwan Abdullah, 31, who converted to Islam, had obtained a custody order from the Syariah Court last year.
“As there are two clashing court orders on the matter, we will wait for the courts to decide,” he said during a press conference here Friday.
Khalid also said that the child was not in any danger as he was with his father.
The Syariah Court had last year awarded Izwan, previously known as N. Viran, the custody of his six-year-old son as well as nine-year-old daughter.
On Monday, the High Court awarded custody of both children to Izwan’s ex-wife S. Deepa, 31, after deciding that the law that had jurisdiction over matters pertaining to a civil marriage was the Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act.
Tags / Keywords:
Court and crime, Islam, Muslim, child abduction
Zahid stands by IGP statement on 'abduction' case
DAP to lodge police reports nationwide against IGP
Nancy Shukri wants police action to get back Deepa's son
IGP Khalid: No forgiveness, wait for police action
Muslim convert explains why he took son away
Najib: Sedition Act to stay
Malacca to reclaim colonial land
Wee: Expand trade on Internet
I was offered RM100mil to get 10 Sabah MPs to cross over, claims Anifah
MAS Bill passed, existing contracts to continue under new management
Umno AGM: Make Mandarin and Tamil compulsory in national schools, says delegate
Welcome to Bhutan via Google Street View
Toy icons: A cube, little green men and soap bubbles
Dragon Age: Inquisition — An expansive and unforgettable journey
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)