Home > News > Nation
Tuesday April 8, 2014 MYT 4:41:00 PM
Tuesday April 8, 2014 MYT 6:58:17 PM
by nicholas cheng
KUALA LUMPUR: A 'topless party', that was supposed to take place this Friday here, was shut down by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) under orders from Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.
In a statement issued Tuesday, Umno Youth deputy chairman Khairul Azwan Harun confirmed that the party had been cancelled after strong demands from several quarters including PAS.
"Such immoral parties should be opposed by all parties so it doesn't become a trend among the young, especially Muslim youths because it undermines our moral values.
"Umno Youth would like to remind all event organisers in the country not to organise such a party in the future and respect the culture and manners of the local communities.
"Authorities like the Tourism Ministry, Jakim or any state Islamic council should remain vigilant and monitor social media networks for such events, so they can act immediately and stop them," said Khairul Azwan.
The event called for party-goers to dress in skimpy clothing, saying "the lesser the better", with prizes being offered for a "best dirty dancers" competition.
PAS central working committee member Nasruddin Hassan had been reported as being outraged by the planned party and called on authorities to intervene.
"We urge for the Federal Territories Religious Department (Jawi), the police and the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to instantly take action against any premises which are found to hold wild, extreme and illegal parties," Nasruddin said.
When contacted by The Star, the party's concept creator claimed the supposed event was still in the planning phase and had not even confirmed anything with managers of the intended venue, The Pool KL.
The man, who only wanted to be known as Pablo, claimed the poster that had gone viral on the Internet was merely a sample made after a brainstorming session, and was not meant to be seen by the public.
"We do not know how it was leaked. We think we are being sabotaged. It caused an uproar and the authorities to react, when there was no party planned yet. It was just a concept we looked into," claimed Pablo, who apologised if any sensitivities had been offended.
Tags / Keywords:
Crime, Topless party, KL
Trio abandon stolen car and flee in another
Sundry shop owner offering ride shot in Kinabatangan
Man shot in chest by robber after offering him a lift
Thai police track ‘Datuk’, two other Malaysians over illegal pyramid scheme
Bank officer killed after security guard runs amok
Penangites reject cable car project
Don’t get pregnant at 17
Winning the young hearts and minds
Photo Gallery: The week in pictures
Woman trying to find a home for her family soon after losing dad, brother in house fire
Make a date with Robbie Williams on Sept 27
Kuala Sepetang opens up angling opportunities for fishos in the west coast
New from Ken Liu: The Grace Of Kings
Juve near title after dispatching Lazio
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)