Home > News > Nation
Saturday April 5, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday April 5, 2014 MYT 2:15:38 PM
by muguntan vanar, ruben sario, stephanie lee, chow how ban, beh yuen hui, AND christine cheahphotos by normimie diun
SEMPORNA: The two foreign women abducted by Abu Sayyaf gunmen from Singamata Reef Resort here are alive and well and are being held on an island in southern Philippines.
Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) director-general Datuk Mohammad Mentek said based on intelligence, the two – Chinese national Gao Huayun, 29, and Filipino resort worker Marcy Darawan – are “well”.
Esscom, he said, had identified the location where the two hostages are being held as well as the identity of the kidnappers.
One of the kidnappers is believed to be also involved in the abduction of a Taiwanese woman on Nov 15 in Pom Pom Island.
“The rest are said to be linked to the Sipadan island kidnapping (of 21 people) in 2000,” he said in a statement here yesterday.
“We believe that this particular ‘kidnap for ransom’ group is active and aggressive in the southern Philippines,” said Mohammad, adding that the local Filipino community might have provided information to the gunmen.
Mohammad said 15 of the resort’s foreign workers had been detained for not having valid documents.
The Immigration Department, he said, had been directed to carry out a full investigation and take action, including charging the resort operator, for employing foreigners without valid documents.
Mohammad said before Wednesday’s incident, security forces had managed to thwart some five boats that were attempting to get into Semporna on March 26.
“The presence of our forces in the area managed to stop four of the boats from entering Semporna waters,” he said.
He did not elaborate if the fifth boat was the one used in the raid at the Singamata resort.
In a related development, police are zeroing in on four employees of the resort said to have provided key information to the seven gunmen.
However, they have yet to establish if Marcy, 40, was targeted by the gunmen.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib confirmed that three women and a man aged between 20 and 50 have been arrested for questioning.
In the incident, Marcy was grabbed from her room first before Gao.
Captors won't harm the two, says former hostage
Terrifying - but journalist gets the job done
Boost Sabah's coastal security, says MCA
Abu Sayyaf — the ghost that haunts eastern Sabah paradise
Hunt is on for Haji Gulam and men
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, Courts Crime, semporna pirates singamata, Travel, Semporna, Singamata, Sabah, kidnap
Fair offers visitors variety of high-end travel packages
Get a virtual tour of Perak
Anwar rally declared illegal
Agoda.com’s survey on popular festive travel spots
IS woman recruiter among three arrested
Study: Eat rice with chopsticks to reduce blood sugar level
Government allocating RM16.5mil monthly for fishermen's living allowance
Hisham: New terror laws timely to fight Islamic State
Visitors flock to see ‘crying’ statue of Mother Mary in Sabah
MH370: Stop blaming my brother, says Zaharie’s sister
Making professional accountancy cool
MPP signs exchange pact with S. Korean council
Blatter calls on Iran to allow women into stadiums
Christina Perri's came to KL to thrill fans and melt hearts
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)