Home > News > Nation
Wednesday April 2, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday April 2, 2014 MYT 7:34:47 AM
JOHOR BARU: A 19-year-old woman fed her 11-day-old baby and thought he had dozed off but realised only two hours later that the infant had choked and died.
Peng Sie Sying said she fed Chong Wei Kent baby formula as he vomited out the breast milk given to him earlier.
“I had no choice but to give him formula milk and after feeding him at 7.30am, I thought that he had slept and put him in his cot,” said the grief-stricken mother, who was holding on to her 16-year-old husband at the mortuary of Hospital Sultanah Aminah here yesterday.
Her husband declined to be identified.
Peng said when she checked on her baby at 9am, she realised that he was not breathing.
“His hands and feet were cold and we quickly rushed him to the Tampoi clinic.
“On the way there, I tried my best to revive him, even performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and milk came out from his nose,” she said, adding that doctors at the clinic, however, confirmed that the infant had died.
Peng said her baby was born healthy and only had jaundice.
“After several days, the jaundice disappeared and we brought him home,” she said.
At this point, the teen mother broke down again and was consoled by family members.
Johor Baru North OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Khamsani Abdul Rahman confirmed the incident and the case had been classified as sudden death.
“We found no trace of physical abuse and the post-mortem revealed that the baby choked to death,” he said.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, baby, choked, milk
Saravanan threatens to hold large gathering outside Palanivel’s house
Boy falls to death from sixth floor of Kota Damansara PPR flats
Extremists are Public Enemy No. 1, says Kurup
AirAsia QZ8501: Probe vets possible computer glitch, crew response
Plenty of great fun and adventure pursuits in Adelaide
Healthy living in the heart of Ampang
10 actors who could be the Beast to Emma Watson’s Belle
Swiss bank on safe haven label to become world’s data vault
Head for the Hills: 'Hollywood' sign tourists spell trouble for locals
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)