Home > News > Nation
Tuesday March 25, 2014 MYT 5:07:00 PM
Tuesday March 25, 2014 MYT 10:05:15 PM
by patrick lee AND rahmah ghazali
(From right) Md Nor Yusof and Ahmad Jauhari addressing the media at KLIA on Tuesday.
SEPANG: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) concluded that all 239 people on board MH370 perished following evidence given to them by the Government on the crash.
MAS chairman Tan Sri Md Nor Md Yusof said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's announcement on Monday night together with the plane's 17-day disappearance led the carrier to come to that conclusion.
"He (Najib) has given very credible leads that would point to where the plane ended...that position is very far away, very remote...and after 17 days, we could only bring ourselves to this certain conclusion," he told reporters at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Tuesday.
When pressed further as to how MAS was so certain, and on what details it might provide on the crash, he said these information would be explained at a later press conference by the Transport Ministry on Tuesday.
Md Nor denied that the airline delayed evidence from being released publicly. He added that it was up to the authorities to make this decision.
He also said that any details on possible disciplinary problems of MH370's crew would be raised by the authorities.
MAS chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said the families of those believed dead would only be taken to Australia once wreckage pulled from the Indian Ocean had been confirmed to be that of the Malaysia Airlines plane.
"We have been informed by Australia that visas will only be granted to the family members once evidence has been established," he told reporters at the same press conference here.
Ahmad Jauhari added that when referring to evidence, he meant debris from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight.
He said earlier that MAS would arrange for the families to be brought to recovery areas if the families wished, though only after approval from investigating authorities.
When Ahmad Jauhari was asked if he would resign once the investigation was over, he said it was a personal decision to make and that it would be done later.
Tags / Keywords:
missing MH370, missing MAS flight, Beijing, MH370 crash
Brothers take MAS to court over disappearance of MH370
Another feather in its cap
Car swallowed after Beijing road collapses
Australia continuing hunt in same area despite new info
Other ways to act against those who shot down MH17
Liow: More direct flights to China to promote tourism
MCA stands firm on education
No plot to kick out Rafizi, says Azmin
Carpenter survives shooting
Bank Negara: 1MDB breached exchange controls, three permissions revoked
Chinese school is tops with other races
Winding your way to safety
SMEs to expand into rural areas
Costa defends Mourinho, says players to blame for poor start
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)