Home > News > Nation
Tuesday February 25, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Tuesday February 25, 2014 MYT 8:23:22 AM
PENGERANG: The measuring of graves at the Sungai Kapal Chinese cemetery has started under tight security presence in preparation for their relocation.
Residents in the area saw many policemen standing guard at the cemetery grounds as five men took measurements of the graves to make way for the Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (Rapid) project.
A resident, Sang Siew Ping, 40, said she thought the relocation of the graves was only supposed to start after Qing Ming or Tomb Sweeping Day in April.
“Chinese New Year just ended and the men are already here measuring the graves,” she said.
Residents have previously asked for the relocation of the 3,400 graves to be carried out only after Qing Ming as any such exercise during Chinese New Year was considered taboo.
This was subseqently agreed to by Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Mohamed Khaled Nordin, who, however, said that it was up to the Kota Tinggi District Officer to decide.
Farmer Chua Peng Sian, 49, said a notice should have been provided to inform residents of the exercise, adding that many were startled to see the policemen.
He also claimed some of the policemen had blocked the road leading to the graves with their vehicles.
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, Family & Community, graves, relocation, pengerang
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)