Home > News > Nation
Tuesday February 25, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Tuesday February 25, 2014 MYT 8:22:22 AM
by stephanie lee
KOTA KINABALU: There have been attempts by foreigners to trespass into Sabah but the security forces were well-prepared in guarding its sea borders against such intrusions, said Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar.
The police receive information of attempted intrusions all the time but such attempts were not successful, he said.
“There are no new cases of intrusion although we do get information of such attempts from our sources.
“I visited various islands in Sabah recently to understand more about how operators are doing and to monitor the security around those islands,” he told reporters here yesterday.
Earlier, the IGP presented awards to more than 50 police officers and staff who were involved in the Semporna and Lahad Datu intrusions in February and March last year.
Present were Sabah police commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib and Bukit Aman special branch director Datuk Akhil Bulat.
Khalid said the police were constantly vigilant for any threat to the state and country and encouraged the public to give information on crimes in their areas.
“We will continue to strengthen our police force and Sabah’s sea border and island security for people’s safety ,” he said.
On another matter, Khalid said the police have come up with an action plan to help victims of disasters, such as the massive floods that recently hit Beaufort.
He said they discussed ways to move property, provide assistance and supplies as well as identified locations for police helicopters and boats to land and dock when the need arose.
“All these will be taken into consideration and used in future disasters,” he said.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Family & Community, igp, security, intrusion, foreigners, islands, awards
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)