Home > News > Nation
Monday February 24, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday February 24, 2014 MYT 10:05:40 AM
by chan li leen
IPOH: Some 17,000 previous recipients of the Bantuan Rakyat 1Malaysia (BR1M) have voluntarily turned down the cash aid this year, said Second Finance Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah (pic).
He said although the number was small, it went a long way to show the maturity of Malaysians.
“While some wrote in to inform the Government they no longer qualify for the aid as their salaries have increased above the qualifying mark, there are those who qualify but still chose not to receive the aid.
“This is extraordinary and commendable as it is not easy for anyone to turn down aid, especially when one is deserving of it,” he told reporters here yesterday.
The Tambun MP, who had earlier presented the aid to his constituents at SMK Jelapang Jaya here, said the Government had also received complaints about undeserving applicants receiving the aid.
“There may be a few cases that we may have overlooked.
“Hence, I urge the public to help us pinpoint these individuals by lodging reports so that we can take action.
“We do not want to see taxpayers’ money fall into the wrong hands,” he said, adding that those who qualified but have yet to receive the aid should also appeal.
Ahmad Husni also revealed that Johor topped the number of BR1M recipients this year, with 14.1% of the seven million successful applications originating from the state.
This is followed by Selangor and Perak with 12.4% and 10.2% of the total, respectively.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Nation, BR1M, Ahmad Husni Hanazlah
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)