Home > News > Nation
Saturday February 22, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday February 22, 2014 MYT 7:39:00 AM
by m. kumar
KUALA KUBU BARU: It was a bittersweet moment as they bade farewell to the nurses who had taken care of them for over a month.
For Lau Looi, 59, Muniandy Parasuraman, 64, and Ah Meng, three of the five residents who were found languishing at an abandoned old folks home, the time had come for them to say goodbye to the kind staff of Kuala Kubu Baru Hospital.
They were being transferred to their new home, Rumah Seri Kenangan in Ulu Kinta, which is run by the Welfare Department.
Lau Looi looked restless and anxious about the prospect of going to a new place while Ah Meng sported a huge smile and happily waved goodbye to the other patients.
Muniandy, a former lion keeper, sat quietly in the corner while the hospital staff packed their things.
Hospital director Dr Jasmeet Singh said the trio had become accustomed to “the simple luxuries” like a proper meal and clean clothes provided here.
“They are afraid that it will be back to the terrible conditions they were put through after they leave here,” he said.
“However, we have assured them that they are going to a good home.”
Welfare Department officer Mohd Al Ghadaffy Abu Bakar said the trio would be well taken care of at their new home.
The three were among five residents who made the news after their neighbours rescued them from squalid conditions at the abandoned home in Taman Wahyu, Kuala Lumpur.
They had been forced to live among piles of rubbish and without running water for two months.
The fourth resident rescued, Jessica, is waiting for results of a DNA test to confirm if she is related to a man who has claimed to be her younger brother.
She is known as Jessica but the birth certificate produced by the man had her name as Jacintha.
Jessica and Ah Meng had difficulty applying for their MyKad due to a lack of thumbprint records while Lau and Muniandy have already received their new MyKads from the National Registration Department.
If the DNA samples match, the NRD said it would issue Jessica a new birth certificate to replace the old one issued in 1962 so she could apply for a new MyKad.
The four of them have been staying at Kuala Kubu Baru Hospital after they were transferred from Selayang Hospital, while the fifth resident, Leong Soo Ah, 60, has gone to live with her daughter after her son claimed her shortly after the rescue.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, ulu kinta, abandoned old folks
Housewife gets 10 years in jail over death of daughter
MIC: Samy Vellu ready to mediate crisis if requested by Najib
Ka Siong clears the air on SMEs
Saravanan: I am a licensed gun owner
Dynamic and Stylish BMW X1
Healthy living in the heart of Ampang
Fighting cyber gambling together
Amazon surprises with profit despite fierce spending
Locked up in Budapest for fun
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)