Home > News > Nation
Friday February 21, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday February 21, 2014 MYT 7:12:54 AM
by farik zolkepli
PETALING JAYA: Police are narrowing down the suspects behind the arson attack that destroyed 10 exhibits at the i-City wax museum last month.
They are not ruling out the possibility that the incident was an inside job.
Selangor deputy police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Abd Rahim Jaafar said that police have recorded more than 10 statements from workers and others in relation to the case.
“We are also investigating the museum’s former workers as well as security guards who had been laid off,” he said yesterday.
Security services for i-City, including the Red Carpet wax museum, are provided by a private security company.
Red Carpet@i-City houses about 100 wax figurines of the world’s famous and celebrated icons.
CCTV footage showed three men, whose faces were covered, splashing kerosene or petrol on several wax figurines before setting them on fire during the 2.45am incident on Jan 29.
The main exhibition area is currently closed to the public for reconstruction and replacement of the damaged wax exhibits.
The museum has relocated a number of the unaffected wax exhibits to a smaller location so that visitors can still enjoy it at RM5 per entry.
It was also reported that the Red Carpet@I-City wax museum would be refurbished within two months at an estimated cost of RM2mil.
The 10 wax figures destroyed were those of Queen Elizabeth, Vladimir Putin, Mao Zedong, Barack Obama, Yasser Arafat, Nelson Mandela, Jackie Chan, Tunku Abdul Rahman, Kate Middleton and Prince William.
It was also reported that Datuk Eu Hong Chew, deputy chairman of I-Berhad and master developer of I-City, had claimed that the incident was a form of sabotage as the perpetrators involved knew what chemicals to use to torch the wax figures.
He said that the figures could not be set on fire easily without the right chemicals.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, i city, wax, arson
Man bashed up over borrowed motorcycle helmet
Police to investigate news portal’s chief editor over articles
Cement truck rolls down hill, crushes car in freak accident
Man in Kelantan killed by flying fire extinguisher
MIC Youth wants stern action taken against provocative social media posts
Anifah: Philippines has no claim on Sabah
Selangor Ruler welcomes master plan for state's public transport
Malacca civil servants to undergo security screening for IS involvement
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
The great South Australian adventure
Living away from Malaysia can trigger a lot of different longings
Battlefield: Hardline – Wage war on two fronts
Amazing ‘cruise-capade’ in Hong Kong
The more choices we have, the harder it is to make a decision
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)