Home > News > Nation
Monday February 17, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday February 17, 2014 MYT 8:12:03 AM
BAGAN DATOH: About 1.13 million Malaysians aged 12 and 18 have failed to apply for or renew their MyKad, says Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (pic).
He said about 1.06 million Malaysians aged 18 had failed to renew their MyKad while 64,122 aged 12 who were eligible to apply for the MyKad for the first time did not do so.
“This will make it difficult for them especially when they are sitting for examinations which require the MyKad. When a person reaches the age of 18, the identity card must be renewed,” he said here yesterday.
He said the renewal of the identity card at 18 years of age was compulsory under the law.
Anyone who failed to do so could be jailed for three years or fined RM20,000, or both, he said.
On the issue of lost identity cards, Dr Ahmad Zahid said the ministry’s legal advisors and the National Registration Department will forward a proposal to amend the law to increase the fine for loss of the document, to the Attorney-General’s Chambers.
He said at present, the fine was RM100 for losing it for the first time, RM200 for the second time and RM300 for subsequent incidents.
“Last year, 681,356 MyKad were lost and the loss of almost 500,000 identity cards this year is worrisome and could affect national security.
“The present MyKad has sophisticated security features. We cannot allow such a high rate of loss,” he added.
As such, he urged Malaysians to keep their MyKad secure and take it everywhere as it is vital as a form of identity for a citizen. — Bernama
Tags / Keywords:
Government, zahid hamidi, mykad
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)