X Close

Nation

Published: Saturday February 8, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Saturday February 8, 2014 MYT 7:25:59 AM

RMAF officer claims trial to charges

KUALA LUMPUR: A Royal Malaysian Air Force officer who made statements to the media over the indelible ink used in the last general election has claimed trial at a court martial here to seven charges under the Armed Forces Act 1972.

Mej Zaidi Ahmad, 47, who was attached to the Butterworth air base, stood before a six-man panel headed by Kol Saadon Hasnan at the Sungai Besi Air Force Base here yesterday.

He faces two charges over making a media statement on his dissatisfaction with the indelible ink when it should be investigated by the Armed Forces, and for making a statement without the approval of the Defence Ministry.

The two offences were allegedly committed at the Kepala Batas police station on May 1 last year.

The third charge is for broadcasting official information via an “attachment out” signal to the media without the approval of the Armed Forces Council.

The fourth and fifth charges claimed that he made media statements on the same matter via the Armed Forces channel and without Defence Ministry’s consent, respectively.

Mej Zaidi is said to have committed the last three offences at Taman Bertam Indah, Kepala Batas, on May 3 last year, thus breaching the Armed Forces Council Order, Discipline and Security – Communication of Information and Publication of Articles by Members of the Armed Forces paras 3, 5 and 13.

Mej Zaidi, who is accused under Sections 50(2) and 51 of the Armed Forces Act 1972, also claimed trial to sending two SMSes said to be politically motivated while on duty at the Butterworth air base on May 1 last year.

The prosecution was led by Mej Ahmad Sanusi Ali, while Dr Syed Iskandar Syed Jaafar acted for Mej Zaidi.

Hearing was fixed for April 8, 9 and 10.

Tags / Keywords: Courts & Crime, atm

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement