Home > News > Nation
Saturday February 8, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday February 8, 2014 MYT 7:24:21 AM
by muguntan vanar
LAHAD DATU: Security forces have Sabah’s east coast in full control a year after they successfully defeated Sulu militants who intruded and occupied Kg Tanduo here on Feb 12.
“Everyone, including tourists, need not worry as whatever security decisions made have also been implemented,’’ said Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar.
He added that various measures taken to beef up security by police, the Armed Forces and the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency had put paid to intrusions, whether by militants or criminals.
The security forces were able to prevent intrusions late December and last month in island areas close to the border.
“This is due to the preparedness and alertness of our security personnel,” said Khalid.
Speaking to reporters after presenting 233 Pingat Kedaulatan Negara awards for police personnel who served under Ops Daulat last year, Khalid said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had approved the setting up of a second General Operations Force (GOF) brigade in Sabah. The three-battalion brigade would be placed in Sandakan, northern Kudat and Beluran districts, which are the 10 under the Eastern Sabah Security Zone.
“The second brigade would be headquartered in Sandakan,” Khalid added.
“This would mean that Sabah would have two GOF brigades, with the first based in Kota Kinabalu,” he said, explaining that they hoped to have the second brigade operational by the end of the year.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, lahad datu, igp
The line is clear at Line Clear nasi kandar
New pump prices: Ron95 at RM1.70
MIC: Top five to meet branch chairmen nationwide
Mum jailed over fatal child abuse
Dynamic and Stylish BMW X1
Healthy living in the heart of Ampang
Australian coach eyes bigger prizes after Asian Cup triumph
It’s paradise on earth at Kangaroo Island
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)