Home > News > Nation
Friday February 7, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday February 7, 2014 MYT 7:05:45 AM
KOTA KINABALU: A ward of the Likas Women and Children’s Hospital has been quarantined after two adults and five children there were tested positive for the H1N1 flu virus.
Sabah Health Department director Dr Christina Rundi said the entire Melur 2 ward at the hospital has been quarantined following discovery of the virus on Monday.
Dr Christina said another case of the disease had also been reported in the east coast Sandakan district.
“Medical officials were alerted of the possible H1N1 outbreak at the hospital on Monday resulting in 31 people being screened for the disease.
“All seven individuals who were tested positive for H1N1 had shown typical symptoms of the ailment,” Dr Christina added.
She said anti-viral treatments had been given to the affected patients while screening was being carried out on all those exposed to the disease including hospital staff.
She said face-masks had been provided to patients, staff and visitors to the affected ward while all leave for hospital personnel had been frozen for now.
Dr Christina said there were 944 cases of the disease reported in the state in 2009 and the figure dropped to 154 cases a year later.
The number of H1N1 cases in Sabah subsequently plummeted to just six for the whole of last year.
“The situation as of now is under control and everything is being done to control the spread,” she added.
The highly contagious H1N1 virus was responsible for the global flu pandemic in 2009. Similar to other flu strains, H1N1 is an infectious respiratory virus that can begin in the nose, throat, or lungs.
Deputy D-G: H1N1 virus flu no longer a pandemic
Tags / Keywords:
Health, h1n1 kk health
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)