Home > News > Nation
Thursday January 16, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday January 16, 2014 MYT 9:45:43 AM
by farik zolkepli AND nicholas cheng
The squalid condition at the vacated welfare home in Taman Wahyu.
PETALING JAYA: The hunt for the errant operator of the abandoned old folks home in Selayang has been widened with various agencies being roped in to locate the person.
Welfare Department director-general Datuk Norani Hashim also confirmed that the home was not registered with it.
“Other departments, especially the police, are tracking him down,” she said, adding that the culprit’s handphone number had been obtained. “But he has refused to come forward or even answer our calls. As far as we are concerned, the home is illegal.”
On the fate of the four remaining senior citizens, who are currently placed at the Kuala Kubu Baru Hospital, Noraini said the department would track down their family members.
The plight of the four senior citizens was highlighted in The Star after they were found abandoned and living in deplorable conditions at a house in Taman Wahyu.
“We will place them in our welfare homes in Selangor if no family members are located or if their family is incapable of caring for them,” Noraini said, urging the public to only send their elderly family members to registered old folks home.
“We can monitor the homes if they are registered with us. We also urge the public to inform us of errant welfare homes so action can be taken as soon as possible,” she said.
The four are also a few steps closer to home after the National Registration Department (NRD) found two of them on the national registrar.
Kuala Kubu Baru Hospital director Dr Jasmeet Singh said Lau Looi was taken to the town’s NRD centre on Monday while Jessica, P. Muniandy and Ah Meng were taken to the Shah Alam NRD centre yesterday.
There was excitement among the hospital staff when, after their photos were taken and fingerprints scanned, Lau Looi and Muniandy’s names popped up.
“We found out that Lau Looi lives in Jalan Padang in Petaling Jaya. He is expecting his new IC in two weeks, while the Welfare Department is still working on locating his family,” Dr Jasmeet said.
“Muniandy was also traced and the department has issued an application letter for a new IC, which we will process at the Kuala Kubu Baru NRD centre tomorrow (today).”
As for Jessica and Ah Meng, Dr Jasmeet said the hospital was told to take them to the Putrajaya NRD headquarters to apply for their MyKad.
“This could prove difficult as they are not in very good condition to travel up and down.
“We hope the NRD officers can come to the hospital to process their details,” he said.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, weflare department dg, old folks
Commando charged with possessing printed Islamic State material
Court ruling should not deter commentary, says Azmi Sharom
Court dismisses Azmi’s challenge, rules Sedition Act valid
Azmi Sharom arrives at Palace of Justice for Sedition Act ruling
Ex-Malacca CM claims trial to sedition charge
Three-storey school block destroyed in fire
Ling ready to take on Najib in court
Dugong-like animal found dead at beach
Soldier charged with possession of IS material
Khalid Ibrahim: Possible PKR split "unsurprising"
Staying fit the dodgeball way
A touch of elegance and glamour
Resort in Lumut makes for a great weekend getaway
Boks set to turn new Paige at scrumhalf
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)