Home > News > Nation
Tuesday January 14, 2014 MYT 10:18:00 AM
Tuesday January 14, 2014 MYT 12:24:39 PM
A religious secondary school in Rantau Panjang closed due to floods that hit the town since Monday.
KOTA BARU: More people were evacuated from the Pasir Mas district after the swollen Sungai Kelantan burst its banks downstream as it flowed to the sea.
At as 8am Tuesday, 2,593 people had been moved out of their homes to 10 relief centres in and around Rantau Panjang, up from the 1,684 Monday night, according to the e-Banjir portal flood report.
The level of Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang was 10.17m, down from the 10.31m Monday night but still above the danger point of nine metres.
Three stretches of road remain closed to light vehicles - the Rantau Panjang-Jeli alternative road at Panglima Bayu, Jalan Pasir Mas-Pohon Tanjung-Rantau Panjang at KM11 and Jalan Pengkalan Rakit at KM3.
The weather in the state is reported to be fine.
Meanwhile, the situation in the flood-hit areas of Pahang continued to improve Tuesday, with just nine people at a relief centre in the Lipis district as at 9 am.
The evacuees were being housed at the Kampung Beralas community hall in Lipis, said a spokesman of the Pahang Police flood operations room.
He said their houses were flooded to a depth of more than one metre.
The first wave of floods, which hit Pahang last December, forced the evacuation of more than 55,000 people in nine districts and claimed the lives of three people. - Bernama
Tags / Keywords:
Environment, floods, Kelantan, Malaysia
Allocate land for Chinese schools, Pakatan told
Measures under way to raise quality of guards
‘Jetlagged’ Rizalman finally faces judge in NZ court
Tourists say ‘aye’ to local cooks for Penang hawker food
Push for better flight tracking
US: We’ll help build nuclear plant
HK Umbrella Movement gets video game
Agoda.com’s list of over-the-top hotels
The art and science of hearing
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)