X Close

Nation

Published: Monday January 13, 2014 MYT 8:14:00 PM
Updated: Monday January 13, 2014 MYT 9:00:04 PM

KK shooting spree could be "grand design," says deputy defence minister

KOTA KINABALU: The incident in which six youths went on a shooting spree at 25 premises in the city on Friday was possibly a "grand design," said Deputy Defence Minister Datuk Abdul Rahim Bakri.

 "It could be a grand design to instil fear in our people. They (the youths) knew what they were doing. But we are lucky, at least, because their images were captured on CCTV," he told reporters after visiting the 'Wawasan' National Service Training Camp in Papar, about 45km from here.

Abdul Rahim said he would leave it to the police to conduct the investigation on the incident.

Last Friday, the youths in three separate groups shot at the doors and walls of premises in Karamunsing, Sembulan and Inanam with weapons believed to be air rifles, and marbles and ball bearings as bullets. 

Kota Kinabalu OCPD ACP Jauteh Dikun was earlier quoted to have said that the incident started at 11.45 pm.

He warned the public that spreading information on the incident in the social media without first verifying its authenticity was an offence.


In this regard, he also cautioned the public against readily believing and spreading false information on the incident.

According to Jauteh, no arrests had been made and investigations were ongoing to identify the suspects and weapons used. 

He also urged those with relevant information to inform the police. - Bernama

Related stories:

Number of premises hit by Sabah shooting spree increases

Deputy IGP: Sabah shooting spree not linked to any terrorist groups

Photo showing two people being arrested not related to KK shooting, say cops





advertisement

Most Viewed

advertisement

advertisement