Home > News > Nation
Monday January 13, 2014 MYT 11:12:00 AM
Monday January 13, 2014 MYT 11:14:39 AM
KOTA BARU: The number of flood victims in Kelantan, particularly in Rantau Panjang, rose to 1,423 Monday morning compared with 1,188 Sunday night.
According to the official portal of the state government, this was due to the continued increase of evacuees in Rantau Panjang to 1,224 compared with 979 Sunday night.
The evacuees, comprising 532 families, were from several villages in Rantau Panjang who were taken to eight relief centres.
In Tanah Merah, the number of evacuees dropped slightly to 199 compared with more than 200 people previously.
They comprised 54 families who were evacuated to five relief centres in Hulu Kusial, Jedok and Bukit Panau.
The water level at Sungai Golok, Rantau Panjang was reported to remain at 10.42m, exceeding the danger level of nine metres.
This resulted in the Rantau Panjang duty-free zone being inundated. Light vehicles are advised to avoid the area for the moment.
Two alternative roads, namely Jalan Rantau Panjang to Panglima Bayu heading to Jeli and Jalan Tanah Merah to Kusial have been closed to light traffic temporarily.
In KUANTAN, the number of flood victims at the evacuation centres in Pahang dropped to 57 compared with 136 Sunday evening.
According to a spokesman of the Flood Operations Room at the Pahang Contingent Police Headquarters, the Lipis district still had 50 evacuees from 13 families from six villages at two relief centres.
He said that in Jerantut, seven victims from two families were still staying at the relief centre at the Kampung Paya Teh Community Hall. - Bernama
Tags / Keywords:
Environment, floods, Kelantan, Pahang
Number of flood evacuees rise in Terengganu and Kelantan
Kelantan flood evacuees return home
Flood situation in Kelantan, Terengganu improving with only 59 evacuees
Terengganu floods not letting up while Johor and Kelantan evacuees lessen
Floods: Evacuees exceed 1,000 in Kelantan
Actresses offered lavish gifts to form ‘friendships’ with VIPs
Najib: Internet should not be a medium for stoking racial tension
Angry neighbour held over noisy kid’s death
Terengganu MB rubbishes New York Times report
Stop believing “mee segera” economists, says Khairy
PAS’ Bangi rep appointed Selangor deputy speaker
Chelsea's Mourinho eager to seal knockout spot versus Schalke
Third-party app bridges gap between Fitbit and Apple
Designer Alexander Wang announces first European store
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)