Home > News > Nation
Sunday January 12, 2014 MYT 1:43:00 PM
Sunday January 12, 2014 MYT 4:40:28 PM
TAWAU: Police have studied the footage of close-circuit television cameras at about 30 premises, which were damaged in the shooting incident around Kota Kinabalu, and have found new leads about the suspects and the routes they took.
Sabah police commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib (pic) said Sabah police had also set up a special team, led by its CID chief SAC Omar Mammah, to investigate the case and were placing roadblocks to help find the culprits.
He said initial investigation confirmed that the shooting incident was the work of mischievous teenagers who went on firing ball bearings with air rifles at the glass doors of the affected premises.
"However, it's too early to tell whether they are moving individually or as an organised crime gang, or is it masterminded by a certain quarter wishing to cause uneasiness among the people," he told reporters here last night.
On Saturday, police ruled out that the shooting spree was linked to Sulu armed group or the Lahad Datu intrusion trial. They blamed it on the 'budak nakal' (naughty boys).
It was reported that the incident, which began at 11.45pm on Friday involved a total of 13 business premises in Karamunsing, nine in Luyang and three banks in Inanam and Penampang.
Hamza also advised the public not to trust rumours that the culprits were shooting at people, especially those being circulated through the social media.
He said such rumours were not true and that the shooters' targets were only premises and not people.
"This is probably the act of those who do not like to see peace and stability in the state," he said.
Kota Kinabalu police chief ACP Jauteh Dikun, when contacted, refuted the allegation that another shooting incident, which damaged several premises here had occurred on Saturday.
He also refuted the report that the suspects in the case had been arrested.
He said both the allegation and the report were baseless.
"There was no new incident reported as of last night," he added.
Business owners here want police to speed up their investigation and nab the culprits behind the shooting.
Kota Kinabalu Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry president Datuk Michael Lui said it was imperative for police to restore peace and security in the city.
He said the chamber was concerned about the incident as it had created fear and caused various speculations among city folk.
KK incident not linked to terrorists
Tags / Keywords:
Sabah police commissioner, Datuk Hamza Taib, shooting spree
Lorry driver’s death linked to farm debts
Syariah judge acquitted of khalwat
Do more to help women attain top posts, organisations urged
Crackdown in Cameron Highlands forces employers to do so for fear of detention
Housing to be a hot topic
Star-studded expo a big draw
Egypt’s Spinx open to visitors again
Late Lavezzi goal sends champions PSG to the top
Top 10 Christmas checklist
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)