Home > News > Nation
Sunday January 12, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday January 12, 2014 MYT 7:12:29 AM
PUTRAJAYA: The Catholic Church’s application to appeal to the Federal Court over the Allah case does not require a full bench, said Chief Justice Tun Arifin Zakaria.
Instead, the top judge said
a five-member bench was enough.
“I have gone through the issue and I don’t think it warrants a full bench because it is a leave application,” he said after a ceremony to launch the Legal Year 2014.
He was responding to calls by veteran lawyer Karpal Singh to allow a full bench of 13 judges to hear the case.
Arifin said it was also premature for him to decide on whether he would allow for a full bench, should leave be granted.
“This is a leave application. We have to go stage by stage.”
Last October, the Court of Appeal allowed the Government’s appeal to overturn a High Court ruling which allowed the Catholic newspaper The Herald to use “Allah” to refer to God.
It ruled that the Home Minister had acted on national security and public order when it banned the newspaper from using the word.
Karpal had said the case should be given priority and required a full bench due to its significance, adding that it could bring about a finality to the case.
The Federal Court has fixed Feb 24 to hear the leave application.
At the same event, Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail said no decision had been made on the sedition investigations against Herald editor Father Lawrence Andrew.
“I have yet to look through the investigation papers. I just got back from Kota Kinabalu last night,” said Gani.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, CJ said no need for fullbench to hear Allah leave application
Former security guard to hang for murdering vet
Three former college students' death sentence for double murder upheld
Two plead not guilty to cheating over promise of datukships
Court orders Dong Zong to hold 'peace talks' to settle internal differences
NRD director ordered to issue death certificate for Sosilawati
PAS doors open if you can't live in Umno house, Muhyiddin told
Busted over illegal viewing
We’ll know for sure in about two days, says Aziz
MH370: Debris confirmed to be from Boeing 777
PAS still accepts GHB, says Iskandar
Zahid: Full brunt of law to be used against Sarawak Report
Bon Odori festival thrills crowd with folk dances and fireworks
Pandelela lands Malaysia's first individual medal at World Championships
Groupon launches own food delivery service
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)