Home > News > Nation
Monday January 6, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday January 6, 2014 MYT 6:52:44 AM
KOTA KINABALU: Some 800 students of SMK Kundasang, who were left in limbo after their school building was declared unsafe, will attend classes at temporary premises 20km away until their new school building is completed in 2016.
The state Education Department has arranged transport for the students to travel to the temporary premises at the former SMK Agama in Ranau.
Department director Jame Alip said the Education Ministry had allocated RM574,000 for the rental of 21 buses to ferry students from Kundasang to Ranau from January this year to April.
However, the temporary premises of former SMK Agama are also under renovation and work can only be completed by September.
Students will still be able to study in parts of the school that can be used.
Jame said the contractor, who started work in September last year to repair the old SMK Agama premises at a cost RM47.7mil, had been delayed due to the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia and Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia examinations.
On the new SMK Kundasang building at a 150ha site in Masilau at the foothills of Mount Kinabalu, he said work was scheduled to begin by July and would be completed in 2016.
He said tenders for the RM43mil school building would be called by next month.
The new building will be constructed using a cabin concept as the area is on hilly terrain.
Tags / Keywords:
Education, SMK Kundasang, Kota Kinabalu
Tourists urged to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated
‘Jet tracking system has potential to further improve aviation safety’
Fire destroys six heritage buildings
Get a taste of Hong Kong chef’s award-winning journey
Malaysians abroad share how they celebrate our local festivals
8 Incredible food and wine adventures you can do in Australia!
Rimba – modern artsy nature resort in Bali
Cheaper LEDs present challenge and chance
Samsung steps it up
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)