Home > News > Nation
Wednesday January 1, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday January 1, 2014 MYT 8:07:18 AM
by kathleen ann kili
JOHOR BARU: Contrary to some claims, an emergency response team was promptly dispatched to the scene of an escalator accident involving a four-year-old boy last week, said the management of the JB Sentral complex.
Last Saturday, Hudhayfah Ismath’s left foot got stuck in the side of an escalator at
JB Sentral, which is next to the Johor Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex.
The boy’s parents had claimed that several Immigration Department officers who were nearby did not come to their rescue, and they had to rely on members of the public for help instead.
However, the spokesman of the building management declined to elaborate further on the incident.
In relation to this matter, Johor state Public Works executive councillor Datuk Hasni Mohammad has urged the management of public buildings to be more proactive towards safety and security issues.
Hasni also advised the building’s management to improve the delivery of services for the hundreds of thousands of people who pass through the facility on a daily basis.
“Proper warning signage should be put up to remind the people of the hazards, as well as to ask them to be be more careful.
“Besides that, an emergency response team should be on standby in the event of such unfortunate situations,” he said.
In reply to the parents’ outrage, Hasni said that Immigration officers were not obliged to provide aid as they were not trained to respond to such emergencies.
“Even if the officers did come to their aid, they would be doing it on their own,” he added when contacted here yesterday.
Hasni explained that the maintenance of the facility was under the state’s Public Works Department, but added that the complex’s security officers played a bigger role in ensuring the public’s safety.
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Johor baru, escalator, security, emergency, immigration
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)